We all have had those days where we want to do something active, but don’t feel like exercising. Though it can be challenging to find the motivation to even get out of bed on days like these, here are some things that I do when I am trying to exercise on a lazy day!
1. Walking! This may be a no-brainer, but sometimes walking is the best kind of exercise you can do. Whether it is on an incline at the gym, a path to the beach, or even just around the neighborhood, walking is a great form of low intensity steady speed training, or LISS. It is great to incorporate LISS into your workout routine as it is a great way to burn fat! If you’re interested in learning more about the importance of LISS, check out this article by Kayla Itsines!
Recently, my friends and I have been walking a 5-mile round trip paved path to the beach on the weekends and it has been a great way to catch up while also burning a few extra calories.
2. Dancing Whether this is just for fun in your room or taking a Zumba class, dancing is such a fun way to get your heart rate up while not even realizing it. My roommates and I recently took a Zumba class at our college rec center and we enjoyed it so much, and each ended up burning just over 400 calories in an hour!
3. Yoga / Stretching Believe it or not, it’s not unusual for your heart rate to become elevated even while stretching – which does not feel like exercising at all. Yoga is a great way to kick it up a notch, especially in a heated class. This is so great for your body, while also being pretty low intensity.
If you’re not sure where to even start in regards to stretching, follow this guide!
4. Biking Growing up in San Diego, an easy way to enjoy the outdoors while also getting a sweat on was to head to the beach and ride up and down the boardwalk. Even if you don’t live near a beach, grabbing some friends and a bike is a great way to have some fun while also burning some calories! Biking is a great workout, and you can go as little or as far as you’d like.
If you don’t have a bike anymore (like me), head to your gym and just sit on the bike for half an hour. Might sound horrible, but as soon as you put on your favorite TV show (mine is Gossip Girl at the moment), and just bike for an episode! You are sure to burn a few hundred calories all from the comfort of sitting down and watching TV.
5. Deep Cleaning This last one is kind of a stretch, but hear me out. If you think about it, you can definitely work up a sweat while cleaning up your room or the house, so if you’re really feeling lazy but want to be productive, cleaning your room a bit quicker than usual might be that motivational push that you need!